Sunday, May 1, 2011

St. Lukes Half Marathon

Last year I registered for the St. Lukes Half Marathon and my training consisted of a three mile run the day before the big race... epic fail.  This year was a different story.  This year I ended the half with a smile and I was actually able to walk to the car afterwards.  I finished in 1:37.25, 211/3205 people, and got first for my age group : ) Needless to say I've been on a high all day!  So here are my top ten tips and half secrets!

1. Train Train Train, even if you don't want to, just get out there and run, because going out for a run is one thing you will never regret [not to mention being in pain while your running a race is no fun, trust me, I would know]
2. Get dressed up and carbo load the night before by eating tons of salad and pizza with good friends
3. Wake up early so you can eat half a bagel with peanut butter & drink some coffee to get you movin' [I also had a banana, but lets just say I will never eat one before a race again ...you get the idea]
4. Make sure you double knot your shoes and have ample pins for your bib
5. Enjoy every mile and listen to all the stories you hear around you.  If you don't run with your music you get to hear some pretty amazing stories and meet incredible people... [ie: I ran with Amby Burfoot for the first ten miles and got to hear his old running tales and advice <-- He won the Boston Marathon in 1968! I was so excited and am definately going to get his books to read over the summer]

6. Give your friends tons of sweaty hugs afterwards
7. Braid your hair because it makes you run faster
6. Wear awesome bright lime green cheetah shorts
7. Thank your family for supporting and cheering for you the whole time, even though they only get to see you for the point 5 seconds you run past them

8. Thank your feet for not failing you, and give your legs a well deserved massage
9. Fuel up afterwards with a juicy burger and chips
10. Relish in your success


<3 i did it! yay me

14 comments:

  1. What an awesome accomplishment. Congrats! I especially enjoyed your tip about wearing lime-green leopard print shorts. Do everything in style, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hot shorts! congrats looks like a fun time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha i loooove your shorts. Like absolutely love!!

    Congrats on finishing and not being sore this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats--what a speedy pace!
    Love those shorts, seriously. So awesome!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. O my gosh CONGRATULATIONS!!! I want to run a half marathon so bad. You did awesome :-) I hope you're not too sore tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are a quick one. Congrats to you--that is such an amazing accomplishment! I love the cheetah shorts, how adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are awesome. :)


    Loveee,
    Karly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go, Euniece. What an accomplishment.

    Patty (hefele)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are incredible! I can't even fathom running that fast... damn, girl!

    I LOVE your shorts, by the way. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um okay first off, CONGRATULATIONS!! First in your age group (and your time too!) Are both FREAKING SPECTACULAR!! Not gonna lie, I'm proud to know a chic like you:) (kinda know ya anyway) haha and secondly that is SO cool that you ran with the 1968 boston marathon runner..wow you've gotta be speedy for that! and braids really do make you run faster! all the girls french braid our hair for xc meets and I swear it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. way to go lady!!!!!! i think it's brave that you did a half the first time on the 3 mile training hahaaha, but definitely way more awesome to train hard and rock it. lovin' your shorts btw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ow owwww! You did it gorgeous! Congrats! Love the tips =) do braids really make you run faster? bahahaha or did your friend slip racing powder in her shoes? ;) lol

    You rock!!!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Euniece! I'm proud of you and I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. I'm glad that you are really doing what you love and never stopping. KEEP IT UP! and always remember to eat hills for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete